Friday, August 29, 2008

Do Re Mi Fantasy, Super Famicom and buying games for systems you don't own

Photobucket

Virtual Console is pretty fantastic every once in a while. There are big periods of nothing puncuated by great games, like Do Re Mi Fantasy: Milon's DokiDoki Adventure, a Japanese Super Famicom game and the sequel to Milon's Secret Castle, a fun NES game from back in the day.

I am pretty picky about what I buy on Virtual Console and after I heard one of the Joystiq guys talk about how much fun this game is and that it is a rare treat to get such a good imported game, I decided to bite the bullet and pull the trigger. Those may be two conflicting analogies, but whatever, internet. You get my point.

The game play is pretty simple and classic, a fantastically copmpetent platformer in the vein of Super Mario World or Yoshi's Island.

As you gain new abilities each stage, they are explained using pictographs, even showing what buttons you press on the controller, so you don't really need the translated version of the text to figure it out.

I'm on the seventh stage and play a bit each night. It's easy to start up, fast to get into the action and a refreshing change from the myriad of JRPG's I have been playing lately.

Photobucket

Now, I'm a huge fan of Disgaea, having played through the first one, buying the second one and the psp version, as well as the soundtrack, so it was an easy decision to get Disgaea 3 when it came out. In fact, this was the only game I have ever pre-ordered and got a nice, little soundtrack compilation as my pre-order bonus - yeah! I would be playing it as we speak, probably even forgoing this post to do some more leveling up, but for one problem.

I don't own a Playstation 3.

This isn't the first time, or the last I have bought a game for a system I didn't own. I own a few Saturn titles and have never owned a Saturn. I own some Famicom and Super Famicom games, and I don't own either of those systems. I just find myself not wanting to miss out on something, knowing that I can get the system sometime in the future. Especially something as fantastic as another Disgaea title.

I know that I will be buying a PS3 shortly - especially when Valkyria Chronicles comes out in a few months. But, man, there are a lot of good XBox 360 JRPG's comming out that I probably won't want to miss out on either. I may have to get some of those as well.

And yeah - I don't own a 360 either.

No comments: